Are you fascinated by the world of hacking in Mr. Robot, Star Wars, and Matrix? Are you looking for the best operating system for hacking and penetration testing? Or want to know about the most loved Linux distros by hackers.
Whether you are pursuing the career in IT security, working as a cybersecurity expert, or keen to learn ethical hacking from scratch, you should know about a perfect operating system that suits your purpose.
Why Linux Distros Are Very Popular:
- More software efficient than casual OS
- Various hacking tools are pre-install on Linux distros. You don’t need to install anything.
- It doesn’t require a quick reboot like Windows after a software installation.
- The main feature that makes Linux the most preferred OS is its portability. Linux is always with you wherever you go. Almost all Linux distros have a live booting feature.
Best Operating System For Hacking:
There are numerous Linux distributions available for hacking. Some of them are design for specific tasks, and others for different interfaces. Here is the handpicked list of most favorable Linux distros of hackers and pen testers,
1) KALI LINUX
Kali Linux is a free and open-source OS with over 600 tools for security analysis and penetration testing. It is a Debian Based Linux Distribution designed for security tasks such as computer forensics, penetration testing, and security research. It was released to replace BackTrack OS.
- You can run it on Windows as well as Mac OS
- It provides a perfect environment for Vulnerability Detection because of its live booting feature
- Kali Linux offers a custom kernel for patching the latest updates and customized coding
- This OS is available in both 32 and 64 bits
- You can use it for penetration testing and digital forensics
2) PARROT OS
As similarly to Kali Linux, Parrot OS is also open source and Debian derived Linux distribution. Hackers can use the Parrot security Operating system for vulnerability assessment, cloud pen testing, hacking, computer forensics, privacy/anonymity, and more. It is a platform that provides users the freedom to surf the web privately and securely.
- It comes with pre-installed IDEs and compilers
- It has a better user interface than Kali Linux
- You can easily read and modify the source code
- It is a lightweight Linux distro that runs with limited resources
- Parrot OS is a highly customizable operating system that comes with a great community support
Black Arch is a free, Arch-Linux Derived Penetration Testing Distribution. It contains more than 2500 tools for automation and networking that can be installed individually and in groups.
Black Arch can be a strong alternative for Kali Linux and BackBox as per its variety of tools and ease of use.
It is the most favorable operating system for security researchers and penetration testers.
- You run the OS from the LiveUSB
- It has easier tool installation than ArchStrike
- It is the most suitable and best operating system for hacking and cybersecurity professionals
BackBox is an Ubuntu-derived open-source operating system that provides a vast range of penetration testing services to simulate cyber attacks. It is a fast and easily navigable operating system that can have a minimal desktop environment.
BackBox provides toolkits needed for ethical hacking, network security, and IT environment. It offers penetration testing and security assessment resources.
- Help out experts with sniffing that includes exploitation, vulnerability analysis, and digital forensic analysis.
- Consume fewer resources of a system
- Easy to use desktop environment
- Deliver an effective and customizable experience
5) DRACOS LINUX
DracOS is open source and another favored operating system of IT security professionals and ethical hackers. It offers a wide range of penetration testing tools that provides information gathering, vulnerability assessment, web attack, social engineering, wireless attacks, and forensics. It is a fast, strong, and powerful operating system.
- This operating system does not stpore your sensitive personal data
- Robust and lightweight Linux distro
- Perfect OS for hackers for security research
- Everyone can read, modify, and allot by using this platform
BugTraq OS offers an extensive set of penetration testing tools that include digital forensic tools, malware testing laboratories, mobile testing tools specially designed by the BUGTRAQ community. The live system of Bugtraq OS has built on Debian, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu.
- It supports 11 different languages
- Available in both 32 bit and 64 bits
- Anyone can use this platform with ease
CAINE — Computer Aided Investigative Environment. Caine offers a complete forensic environment that provides a friendly graphical interface. This operating system can integrate to existing software tools as software modules.
- Customization available
- User-friendly operating system
- Block the devices with read-only mode
- It is an open-source project
BlackWin is an open-source Linux-based operating system that Microsoft first launched. It has over 500 pre-installed security tools and 1000 shell and exploits tools.
These tools offer information gathering, password attacks, remote control, reverse engineering, etc. BlackWin has an attractive and better user interface than other hacking operating systems.
- More secure than other Linux distros
- Special command line engine
- Includes the best Python2 and Python 3 libraries
- Users can define custom commands
These were a few of the best operating system for hacking, and penetration testing tools picked up by our cybersecurity experts. You must try these Linux distros if you want to learn to hack. If you think we’ve forgotten to add some of the other favorite operating systems of hackers, then tell us by mentioning them below in the comments.